How do you make writing a habit AND still enjoy your life? Thanks to blogger Get a Life, PhD, here is some advice!
Are you struggling with writing consistently? If so, try and implement these strategies, adjusted for the particularities of your schedule:
- Make a writing plan for the week. Decide exactly what writing projects you will work on this week. For example: Finalize article and submit to journal. Finish literature review for Chapter Three.
- Break your writing plan down by days, and make specific tasks for tomorrow. For example: Monday: Refine methodology section and add sample details from proposal. Tuesday: Add references on neoliberalism to literature review.
- At 8pm tonight, turn off all electronic devices: cellular phone, laptop, tablet, television, etc.
- Find a novel and read it in bed.
- Sleep by 9pm.
- Wake up at 5am or 6am.
- Write for 30 minutes when you first wake up, before checking email or social media accounts.
I know that not everyone has the life circumstances that would permit them to implement this schedule. So, it is not for everybody. However, I will say that having children or a family does not necessarily prevent you from having a similar schedule.